Another type of trucking service is LTL or Less Than Truckload commonly offered by trucking services companies. It is important to know some information about LTL services to be able to properly understand this type of service.
LTL shipping is used for the transport of small freight items or when the cargo does not require using the entire van of trucking in Hamilton. This method of shipment is used for freights weighing 150 to 15,000 pounds. The shipper only pays to trucking in Hamilton for the space of the truck occupied by the freight.
Advantages of LTL shipping
- Cost reduction
You can save on cost when using LTL shipment because you only pay for the area occupied by your freight. The remaining space is paid by other consignees.
- Additional services
Shipping by LTL allows you to avail of special services such as inside pickup, liftgates, and delivery.
- Increases security
LTL shipments are put into pallets before loading them in the truck. A pallet that is well-packaged is better secured than those having multiple handling units.
LTL carriers have tracking capabilities by using some references on the shipment documents such as air waybill number, PO number, PRO number, and other means.
Factors determining the LTL shipping rates:
- Location – generally, when the distance is far, the rate is also high.
- Mode – you can expedite the delivery of your cargoes at an additional price.
- Dimensions – the weight and dimensions of the cargoes will classify the freight level which will directly impact the rates.
- Type – shipments requiring special equipment and handling such as perishable goods, hazardous products, and fragile items lead to increase in cost.
When do you need LTL shipping?
- It is ideal for business with cargoes weighing below 15,000 pounds and not requiring a full van to use LTL shipping.
- If you want to maximize your savings on cost, consider LTL shipping. You only pay for the space your cargoes occupy while the remaining portion is paid by other occupants.
The type of shipping you need depends on the type of cargoes you have for shipment. It is essential for you to be informed about the different services a shipping is offering for your decision making.