Landlord Sent To Court For DIY Boiler Repair

As per the regulation, it is the landlord’s responsibility to manage boiler repairs and maintenance in behalf of their tenants. This is a responsibility that a landlord did not take into heart when he repaired the boiler system on his own without hiring a professional. He did not take into consideration the fact that the young family renting the place could have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

The landlord is Lokendra Khadka, a restaurant worker, who took into his own hands the repair of the flue. According to the court, instead of proper repair, he used a flimsy tube in place of the flue while perched on unsteady blocks.

His current tenants are a couple with three kids and with his actions they were put into great risk because in the event that the pipe should fail then they could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the Plymouth Crown Court, the engineer who inspected the home was so shocked with the patched up repair work that he immediately mandated the gas company to stop the terraced city home’s supply.

Khadka put the blame to an unnamed man who he said was responsible for the repairs. Still the legal responsibility was in his shoulders because he should have ensured that the work was done correctly.

The presiding judge of the case, Paul Darlow, said that he is not convinced with the unnamed man but believes that the landlord himself repaired the boiler. Furthermore, he said that the flue installation was very risky for the tenants who are living in the rented home, the visitors coming to the house and to everyone in the neighboring area.

The judge said that he is willing to suspend the landlord’s prison sentence due to his good character but he is to pay a fee of around £5,000. The landlord said he is guilty with the charge against him because he failed to maintain the boiler system of his property at Albert Road, Stoke. The judged also remind him that boiler repairs should be done by professionals in order to ensure the safety of the people living inside the home.

Share

Comments are closed.