There are several signs of termite presence in your home like discarded wings near windows and doors, wood that sounds hollow when tapped and uneven or bubbling paint on the walls. When you see these signs it is very likely that the first question your will ask is whether there are exterminator services near me and if they are licensed for termite inspection and control.
Many homeowners assume that termites only thrive in hot weather that they let their guard down during winter. However, there are classes of termites that swarm during fall and reproduce inside homes in February. In the United States, subterranean termites are very widespread. The subterranean termites which are considered as the most destructive cause billions of property damage every year.
Homeowners can avoid a termite infestation during winter through the following steps:
- All cracks must be sealed particularly those on the southern and western walls
- Roof and plumbing leaks must be repaired to eliminate moisture that will allow termites to survive above ground
- There must be no wood-to-soil contact around the foundation. Moisture must be directed away from the foundation by ensuring that gutters are drained properly
- Mulch or soil must be a few inches away the home’s siding
- Crawl spaces must be kept clean of scrap lumber, discarded boxes and old books and newspapers. Crawl spaces must have adequate ventilation.
- Windows, doors and ventilation openings must be protected with mesh screen to prevent easy access for pests
- Homes must be inspected annually for any pest presence. Prompt action can save you thousands of dollars in property damages.
Aside from termites, homeowners must also be wary of the national nuisance called bedbugs. Always check your luggage, purses and clothing after travelling because you might unknowingly bring these pests inside your home.
DIY techniques cannot successfully deal with pest infestations. Call for exterminator services near me if you suspect the presence of pests inside the home. Do not attempt to solve the problem on your own because it may worsen. Pest exterminators have the experience, skills and the proper tools and equipment to deal with pest problems.