The effects of a crime to a person vary in many ways and every person reacts differently to the situation. Initially, a person may feel fearful, shocked, or angry, which are common reactions when one is a victim of a crime.
Crimes are rampant in any place of the world which are influenced by many factors such as drugs, corruption, syndicates, poverty, and even simple disputes. Many victims of crime in Melbourne are compensated if the financial situation of the victim is affected and this assistance comes from the VOCAT or Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal.
Because of your suffering and pain experienced from the crime, you can get paid by VOCAT and help you in the following:
- Medical expenses and counselling
- Damage or loss to worn clothing during the incident
- Expenses for safety
- Lost earnings
- Funeral costs
Amount of Assistance
The amount of financial help VOCAT pays to the victims of crime in Melbourne averages $7700, however, this amount can vary depending on the victim’s situation. The ceiling amount depends on the crime’s details and the type of victim which is either primary victim, secondary victim, or related victim.
Compensation from the criminal or offender
If the offender is found culpable of the offense committed, you can also get compensated by them by applying for an order from the court so the offender can:
- Compensate the pain, injuries, and suffering you experienced because of the crime.
- Pay for any damaged, sold, or lost property.
- Return stolen possessions.
Three ways of claiming compensation from the offender
- Compensation through criminal court action
- Compensation through the civil court case
- Compensation through PCQF or Prisoner Compensation Quarantine Fund
Preparing a compensation claim
- The victim must coordinate with the officer who is handling the case before it is elevated to court. Inform the police officer about your intention to claim for compensation from the offender.
- Keep all medical receipts to support your claims for suffering, injuries, and pain. A doctor’s medical certification is possibly needed for evidence.
- Property damage claims must be supported by quotes on the cost to replace or repair.
- For theft, the court may require the guilty to return all the goods or amount stolen. If the items are lost, sold, or destroyed, the court can let the offender pay the value of all the goods stolen from the victim.
It is just fair to compensate victims of crime for the inconvenience caused by the crime which include financial, use of government services for victims, and restitution of loss.