With the cold snap subsiding in the southeast Louisiana as expected, organizations are informing residents to keep safe amidst the cold weather.
The American Red Cross warns people that when the temperature drops, there are pipes that are prone to freezing, especially outdoor pipes or those with unheated interiors or less insulation.
To protect and prevent freezing pipes before wintertime, you need to carefully follow the tips given by the Red Cross:
- Drain water from water sprinkler and swimming pool supply lines. Never add antifreeze in these lines as it can be harmful to the environment and hazardous to humans, pets, landscaping and wildlife.
- Keep, drain and remove hoses used outdoors. Seal valves providing outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bib to have water drained, and keep the outside valve open so that water in the pipes can expand without bursting.
- Provide insulation to the crawl spaces and attics.
- Check sections in your homes where water supply lines can be situated in unheated areas such as the bathroom, kitchen and the garage. You need to insulate to prevent freezing pipes in these areas.
- Open bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors to circulate warmer air.
- Close garage doors to prevent freezing pipes should there be water supply lines there.
- During cold season, let cold water drip from the faucet to expose the pipes.
If you got frozen pipes during winter, you should try these following tips:
- Open the faucet to make water flow again. Running water makes the frozen area of the pipe to melt.
- Add heat to the frozen areas of the pipe by using towels soaked in warm water, hairdryer, portable space heater, or electric heating pad. Never use flammable devices to heat the pipe as it can only add damage to it.
- Add adequate heat until the water pressure is fully repaired.
- To prevent freezing pipes, check all other faucets to check the severity of the freezing pipes.
If the following tips will not work for you, try to contact a licensed plumber for relevant repairs or replacements. There are those who are ever ready to do the fixtures whenever you call on them. Just check the Internet for choices, compare prices and features, and you’re good to go.