Football is one of the most exciting sports in Australia. The game is popularly called as soccer, footy or Aussie rules. The country has its own league of football matches called the Australian Football League or AFL.
The game is so popular that fans are always on lookout for AFL shop online to shop for their favourite teams’ merchandise. Here are some interesting facts about the favourite sport of Australians.
- Football developed in Australia and now it is played by people in eighty countries. The game is influenced by many local sports. The AFL is influenced by soccer, rugby and Mangrook, a traditional game of the Aboriginals.
- The AFL players are not allowed to throw the ball. They can only kick the ball or hand-ball it to their team members.
- The AFL team that scores the least points and figures at the last spot of the ladder, wins an imaginary award known as the wooden spoon award. The team which has received the highest wooden spoon awards is St. Kilda. The team received twenty seven of these awards. The two teams which did not receive this award till now are Port Adelaide and Adelaide.
- The ANZAC day matches are the most awaited AFL matches in Australia. Fans shop for their favourite teams merchandise with AFL shop online and offline and flock to the stadiums to view the match. The match is viewed live by an average of 80,000 viewers while millions of Australians watch it on their TV screens.
- Australia has a multi-cultural population. AFL supports player from different cultural backgrounds. Nine percent of the total players of AFL come from the indigenous Australian community and fourteen percent players are from different cultural backgrounds.
- Initially there was no set playing time for AFL matches. The team which scored two goals first was declared as the winner of a match. Most of the matches stopped mid-way due to quarrels between the players or the due to damage footie. Now the game has a pre-set match time of eighty minutes which is divided into four quarters.
- The highest winning score was 177 points, scored by Carlton in 1972 and the lowest winning score was 13 points scored by Richmond in 1927.
Now you know some of the interesting trivia about AFL. Grab your favourite merchandise from AFL shop online and play an interesting AFL quiz with your friends.