Most parents panic when they hear that their child needs a treatment with palate expander. They fear that the expander causes pain to the child and it is difficult to eat with the expander. Though some of their apprehensions are true, palate expanders are not as painful as they seem. They are most commonly used orthodontic devices that are used to improve the shape of the jaw and brighten the smile.
Palate expanders or jaw expanders work best in children. The palate bone comprises of two bones that fuse at the center. The bones do not fuse till puberty and hence are easier to expand. The palate expanders exert pressure on the bones and create a gap between them. The bones expand and grow to fill the gap created by the expander. This process results in jaw expansion.
It is always advisable to consult a reputed and experienced orthodontist for palatal expanders. The orthodontist conducts a full examination of the mouth and takes some 3D images and X-rays to assess the condition. He may prescribe palatal expanders if the jaw bone is misshapen or too small and cannot accommodate the teeth, which results in crowded or missing teeth. Here are some tips to find the right orthodontist.
- Ask for references from your family and friends. Speak to people who have undergone orthodontic treatments to get references of a respected orthodontist in your neighborhood. Shortlist a few orthodontists with most number of positive referrals.
- After shortlisting a couple of orthodontists, schedule an initial appointment. Visit the clinic and meet the orthodontist, who is going to treat you. Ask questions to get clarity about the time taken, the costs, the after care and so on. Most orthodontic clinics offer a free first appointment.
- Observe the facilities at the clinic, the general atmosphere, the professionalism of the staff, the personality of the dentist, and other factors during the initial visit to the orthodontic clinic. All these factors play a crucial role in choosing an orthodontist for jaw expansion treatment.
- Check the patient testimonials of the shortlisted orthodontist. You can find feedback about orthodontists on the website of the clinic, on social media pages, support groups etc.
- Ask for an estimate. The estimate should contain all the costs including those of the evaluation, treatment, devices, and after care. Compare the estimates and choose an orthodontist who provides high quality services at reasonable costs.
Choosing the right orthodontist is important to ensure that your child gets the right jaw expanders treatment. The child should be comfortable to visit the orthodontist to make the treatment process easier.
Dental procedures can be expensive, although it all depends on the type of procedure that you are getting. In general, you would really have to spend just to have your teeth and gums maintained. The good news is that you can find an affordable dentist in Reading and you can even lower your dental expenses by taking care of your teeth properly. Here are some ideas.
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day or as needed. There are those who need to brush their teeth more often than two times a day, such as those with braces. Regular brushing removes food particles and debris that can accumulate and damage the teeth. Brushing also prevents the buildup of tartar and plaque along the gum lines and on your teeth.
- Use the right oral care products. Dentists generally recommend using toothpaste with fluoride. If you have braces, the dentist will recommend using mild oral products since wearing metal wires makes you prone to cuts and lesions on the mouth. Ask your dentist for recommended products that are suitable for the procedure that you had. All in all, use products that are eco-friendly as they are generally, milder and safer for the mouth.
- Rinse thoroughly. If you have dentures, most likely, the affordable dentist in Reading will recommend for you to soak your dentures overnight using a denture liquid solution. In the morning, before wearing your dentures, make sure to rinse it thoroughly with running water to wash away harmful chemicals in the solution that can cause vomiting or stomachache.
- Floss regularly or as needed. Flossing removes food deposits and particles that cannot be reached by ordinary toothbrush. When you floss in between your teeth, you prevent the buildup of plaque or tartar along the gum line or on your teeth.
- Use mouthwash. By taking proper dental care, you won’t have to pay high fees on the affordable dentist in Reading because the dentist will only do basic dental procedures on you. When you rinse your mouth with mouthwash, your breath becomes fresh and at the same time, you prevent the buildup of plaque in your teeth.
People who are new wearers of dentures can feel oral discomfort which is very common. For those who are having difficulties with dentures, it is a must for them to get used to wearing their dentures well which is paramount to their health.
Adjusting to your Lansdale dentures may be a challenge, however, there are some tips that would help you get adjusted to them.
- Your expectations must be realistic
Dentures can give you a feeling of wearing a foreign thing in your mouth just like braces. They can give you embarrassing moments as you strive to eat and speak naturally while you are wearing your dentures. This uneasy feeling is normal while you get used to it, but the good thing is, it is just temporary.
- Singing is a good therapy
You can sing your speech with your new dentures on. Music is a great way to train your speech. This technique really works that would also give you time to enjoy your new teeth though hard it maybe.
- Cheeks exercise
Buccinator muscles or cheek muscles help guide the food inside your mouth while preparing to swallow them. It is similar when you work out any part of your body. You need to build these muscles even before wearing your dentures or during the initial few weeks. It will let you take control of your food while eating.
- Try experimenting with adhesives
Ask your dentist about good adhesives or dental creams and experiment on them with what kind of cream works best for your teeth. However, it is always best that you visit your dentist if you need to have your dentures adjusted for a better fit.
- Post-extraction plan
You must follow your treatment design to get used to your new teeth. Everyone has a different healing process which is why it is important to stick to your treatment plan following your extraction. This will expedite your healing process and let you get adjusted to your new teeth quickly.
Properly done dentures and well-fitted to the patient are important factors to let you enjoy your new teeth and improve your quality of life. It is important to make sure that you follow your dentist’s instructions on how to handle your dentures properly and most importantly, visit your dentist as scheduled.