As per the regulation, it is the landlord’s responsibility to manage boiler repairs and maintenance in behalf of their tenants. This is a responsibility that a landlord did not take into heart when he repaired the boiler system on his own without hiring a professional. He did not take into consideration the fact that the young family renting the place could have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.
The landlord is Lokendra Khadka, a restaurant worker, who took into his own hands the repair of the flue. According to the court, instead of proper repair, he used a flimsy tube in place of the flue while perched on unsteady blocks.
His current tenants are a couple with three kids and with his actions they were put into great risk because in the event that the pipe should fail then they could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the Plymouth Crown Court, the engineer who inspected the home was so shocked with the patched up repair work that he immediately mandated the gas company to stop the terraced city home’s supply.
Khadka put the blame to an unnamed man who he said was responsible for the repairs. Still the legal responsibility was in his shoulders because he should have ensured that the work was done correctly.
The presiding judge of the case, Paul Darlow, said that he is not convinced with the unnamed man but believes that the landlord himself repaired the boiler. Furthermore, he said that the flue installation was very risky for the tenants who are living in the rented home, the visitors coming to the house and to everyone in the neighboring area.
The judge said that he is willing to suspend the landlord’s prison sentence due to his good character but he is to pay a fee of around £5,000. The landlord said he is guilty with the charge against him because he failed to maintain the boiler system of his property at Albert Road, Stoke. The judged also remind him that boiler repairs should be done by professionals in order to ensure the safety of the people living inside the home.
The innovations and development in the world of heating control have led to the availability of high-tech boilers which are easy to use and are energy efficient. There are different boilers depending upon the cost and their function. Choosing the right kind of boiler that is suitable for a home’s requirement is essential step in investing in boilers.
If you are planning to get a new boiler for your home or get an existing one repaired, consult RPH. They are experienced and qualified heating engineers, who have the right solutions for all your heating needs. The engineers from the company will make a site visit and recommend the right type and capacity of boiler suitable for your home.
Some of the different types of boilers sold by RPH are
- Combi boiler
Combi boilers are the most popular boilers. They provide hot water both for the heating system and the taps. The water is directly heated at the mains, whenever required. This eliminates the requirement of a hot water storage cylinder or a cistern. Most of the clients of RPH, opt fort combi boilers because they are easier to install, work quickly and are cheaper than the other variants. As these boilers do not require a storage cylinder, they save a lot of space. Combi boilers heat water at the mains and hence the water pressure from the taps is good.
- System boiler
These boilers are fitted to the sealed heating systems. The system boilers store hot water in a separate cylinder and can easily feed several outlets at the same time. The expansion vessel and the pump of these boilers is built-in, which makes the installation of these boilers very easy. These are ideal choice for bigger homes. The pressure is good and the water is delivered to the outlets at mains pressure.
- Regular boiler
These boilers are suitable for homes with open vented heating systems. The regular boilers store the hot water in a separate cylinder. These boilers provide a good flow rate and are suitable for power showers. These boilers are expensive and need complex installation procedure.
The experts at RPH will help you choose the right kind of boiler for your home. Apart from the type, determining the right size of boiler is also essential to maintain their efficiency.
With the cold snap subsiding in the southeast Louisiana as expected, organizations are informing residents to keep safe amidst the cold weather.
The American Red Cross warns people that when the temperature drops, there are pipes that are prone to freezing, especially outdoor pipes or those with unheated interiors or less insulation.
To protect and prevent freezing pipes before wintertime, you need to carefully follow the tips given by the Red Cross:
- Drain water from water sprinkler and swimming pool supply lines. Never add antifreeze in these lines as it can be harmful to the environment and hazardous to humans, pets, landscaping and wildlife.
- Keep, drain and remove hoses used outdoors. Seal valves providing outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bib to have water drained, and keep the outside valve open so that water in the pipes can expand without bursting.
- Provide insulation to the crawl spaces and attics.
- Check sections in your homes where water supply lines can be situated in unheated areas such as the bathroom, kitchen and the garage. You need to insulate to prevent freezing pipes in these areas.
- Open bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors to circulate warmer air.
- Close garage doors to prevent freezing pipes should there be water supply lines there.
- During cold season, let cold water drip from the faucet to expose the pipes.
If you got frozen pipes during winter, you should try these following tips:
- Open the faucet to make water flow again. Running water makes the frozen area of the pipe to melt.
- Add heat to the frozen areas of the pipe by using towels soaked in warm water, hairdryer, portable space heater, or electric heating pad. Never use flammable devices to heat the pipe as it can only add damage to it.
- Add adequate heat until the water pressure is fully repaired.
- To prevent freezing pipes, check all other faucets to check the severity of the freezing pipes.
If the following tips will not work for you, try to contact a licensed plumber for relevant repairs or replacements. There are those who are ever ready to do the fixtures whenever you call on them. Just check the Internet for choices, compare prices and features, and you’re good to go.